Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm not merkin this up!

Dutch told me something very interesting the other day. In India, he said, marriages are still arranged and women are still expected to be virgins, though more and more women are having premarital sex. So a surgical process, revirgination, is commonly done to allow women their sexual freedom yet still enabling them to fulfill their culture's patriarchal expectation.

I find the idea quite fascinating, so I googled it. Turns out, it's a hot trend here in the US as well.

"Since many women have already lost their virginity, they are turning to a new form of plastic surgery to get it back. Information on hymen repair, vaginal tightening, designer vagina and other plastic surgery."

Designer vagina?

"Not being a virgin does not come as a surprise anymore these days. Many women lose their virginities at an early age, more so in this modern world of ours. Virginity is, in some corners of society, still considered a precious possession. Wouldn't it be nice if women could somehow reclaim what they have lost?"
Well this is an interesting idea. When a woman loses her virginity, what has she lost and why would she seek to get it back? Of course, this surgery addresses what she has physically lost, her hymen, along with that super-special tight-as-a-virgin pussy men desire. When the hymen is gone, it's not likely the woman ever misses it. Seems to me, this surgery is designed to replace what the man has lost, not the woman. "Like a virgin...When Jeanette Yarborough decided to give her husband a gift for their seventeenth wedding anniversary she wanted it to be special. Really special. She gave him something much more personal and painful. Her virginity. Well, sort of Mrs Yarborough paid $5,000 to a cosmetic surgeon to stitch her hymen back together so she could lose her virginity all over again and her husband would have that thrilling conquest at the grand age of 40."
I see. So yes, the women who seek this (expensive) surgical alteration of their bodies in this country do so in order to give something to a man, not to get something for themselves. Okay, I'm all about giving something to my man, but seriously. Five thousand dollars for a painful operation that will give him a one-time thrilling conquest? He pops that cherry in ten seconds, and then I'm back to being an unexciting nonvirgin again. "Gee, thanks honey! That was money well spent." I dont think so.
Here's something else that hooked my brain today. This one came from my friend Emily. She's so cool. Ever heard of a merkin? Its a pubic hair wig.

Seriously, yeah.

A wig for a womans hoo-hah. I had to google that and see whats up. Turns out, merkins were quite fashionable in the 1600's. They used to shave off all the pubic hair as a cure for syphillis, so the well-to-do used merkins to restore their natural hirsute nether regions to full glory. Another source said they treated syphilis with mercury, which caused baldness. Also, a merkin would cover up any sores prostitutes may have obtained in the line of duty.

Another common problem was lice. One way of dealing with that was to shave all the hair off your body. Merkins caught on first among the shadier members of society, but eventually became quite respectable.

Fascinating, huh? I want to see one. I'm left with the nagging question: who's a merkin supposed to fool? By the time you get to the level of intimacy where somebody is going to see whether you have pubic hair or not, your range of observation, as we might say, is such that a wig is not going to make for a very convincing masquerade. Turns out, the Internet provides an answer, whatever the question: During the time period when merkins were popular, the degree of intimacy among the upper class was low even during sex.

I shudder to think what that means. Apparently, you had your valet do it for you.

No comments: